Monday, January 28, 2013

hooray for gold lamé!

2013 has already proven to be a very busy year indeed. I'm positive that I have done more to put myself and my art "out there" these last few weeks than I have done at all in the last few years. (And it's still only January!) As exhausting as it can be, I find that I'm enjoying the frenetic pace and I hope that it will lead me to a place where I can create full-time. Mmm, dreamy ruminations. But for now: arts!

I recently embarked on a collaboration with Matt Barry to illustrate his critical essays exploring the films of John Waters. The first in this series focuses on MONDO TRASHO (1969). This is a difficult film to pull a "defining scene" to illustrate because it's really more a string of bizarre vignettes rather than a cohesive narrative.  So, I decided to do a simple side-by-side of the film's two leading...er...ladiesMary Vivian Pearce and Divine. Two things about this decision that made it a bit of a challenge: 1. caricatures are not necessarily my forte (they're, like, hard 'n stuff) and 2. Divine is not nearly as "Divine" in this film as she becomes later in her career. That said, I think it turned out to be a pretty successful experiment.  Here's the sketch:



And after some digital bedazzling:



Hooray for gold lamé! Stay tuned for the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment